Photobucket

Monday, April 30, 2012

Letters to the Future

In the book I am reading to my son as a bedtime story, an eight year old boy uses a machine, called a chronofax, to send letters to his adult self. His 28 year old self not only receives the letters, but changes the way he is living his life, to try to live up to the expectations of the little boy he once was.

After reading that, I realized what a great writing prompt that would be, so I had the children write letters to the adults they will be in 20 years. The first 5 of these letters that were turned it, I posted on my own blog and the author of the book read them and posted the link to them on his facebook and twitter feeds.

"This is awesome. Lisa Rooney is an elementary school teacher, and she was inspired by the concept of the Chronofax from the song Letters Between a Little Boy and Himself as an Adult, and the novel The Wrath of Fate. She assigned her class to write letters to themselves as adults. Go see the (very funny) results!"

- Robert Brown, author of The Wrath of Fate


So, here are those original five letters, along with a couple more that have been handed in since then (I realize that there are still mistakes, but I wanted this to be a fun writing exercise).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment